Friday, June 15, 2007

What a day...

First of all I didn't drive to Charlotte yesterday. My shoulder was still hurting big time so I stayed home and alternated ice and heat. Thought it was better so I left for Charlotte at 2:30 AM and arrived at the airport about 6:30 AM. My bag was small enough to carry on but I knew I would be asking for trouble if I tried to handle luggage going through two airports. I went to the check-in counter for United since United Airlines was in letters two inches tall on all of my paperwork. Approximately 30 minutes later I got to the counter only to be told that yes my paperwork does say United, however, it's really U.S. Air. United and U.S. Air have a reciprocal ticket sales agreement but that does not apply to the check-in counters. Don't you think it might be a nice idea to mention that someplace on that 6 page single spaced document I had in my hot little hand? Oh goody, so another 10 minute walk and I get to the U.S. Air counter and check my bag. I don't know what the heck happened in Charlotte yesterday but apparently a gazillion flights were canceled and all those passengers plus their screaming toddlers were trying to get through security this morning. My flight was scheduled to leave at 7:50 AM and I arrived sweating and panting just before they closed the door. Don't you just know my seatmates were THRILLED that I made the flight. By then the shoulder is a little ouchy but no biggie. By the time I changed planes in Detroit and arrived in Chicago I was in so much pain my teeth were chattering. I was standing in baggage claim at O'Hare silently patting myself on the back (with my right hand) and feeling so superior becuase I was smart enough to buy polka dot luggage and would be able to spot my bag as soon as it hit the belt. It was right about then that the belt stopped and I was the only one standing there...bagless. Yep, they lost my luggage. The whole time I was walking to baggage claim I was silently chanting, "Hang on, hang on..the hotel will have ice and a hot tub." Well they did but unfortunately my bathing suit was in the missing polka dot bag. The Marriott is very accommodating but somehow I think they might have been a little miffed finding me nekid in their hot tub at high noon. Soooo....I went to my room and took 2 Tylenol PM's and slept sitting up in a chair. Until the x'rays are done I won't know for sure what this is but I'm betting on a pinched nerve. If I sit "JUST RIGHT" there is absolutely no pain but if I try to lay down or make the mistake of picking my purse up with my left hand...OH MAMA. I pickup the rental car tomorrow morning and will head to Fithian for Bob & Lindas surprise party. Hopefully, Polly & family will arrive in time to go with me. I can't wait to see everybody and have been looking forward to this for weeks. You can relax now, I'm done complaining. :-)