Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Time Travel

Do you believe in time travel? I do as anytime I smell burning leaves I am right back in the 8th grade and the sky is that impossible deep blue that you only see in the fall. Anny and I are raking leaves which will be followed by a big night of Monopoly, Chef Boy R Dee pizza and the drink of choice is RC Cola. Oh yeah, big time Saturday night in Kingman, IN circa 1963. Of course burning leaves is not exactly PC these days and while I really do sympathize with people who have allergies and I know it's not good for the environment BUT... I miss the smell of leaf smoke. Weenie roasts and hayrides...do kids get to do that anymore? We always used apple wood for the fire and I still love the smell of a wood fire but I'm starting to sound like a bit of a pyromaniac. There are other smells (not fire related, I promise!) that take me back too... bacon and coffee remind me of my Grandma as well as Pledge. I swear that woman Pledged anything that stood still. Time travel? Oh yeah, I am a believer.

3 comments:

Anny said...

Nothing smells better than burning leaves, except maybe when Mom started the back yard on fire and the neighbors had to call the fire department. did I mention Dad was Fire Chief at the time????? Well, he was out of town.....

Anonymous said...

I'm a beleiver too! Love the smell of camp fire smoke. And fresh cut wood or sawdust always makes me think of my Papaw.

Anonymous said...

And oak wood burning in a heater or fireplace in the winter(hard to think of fire today with 98 degrees outside).
Old spice takes me back to when I was little. I would insist I had to wear Old Spice just like Daddy did and he would put a tiny bit on me too.
Yep, Time Travel is for real.
Have a good weekend, Jan.