Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Grandma's in Round Rock!

Every family speaks shorthand and one of our shorthand phrases is GRANDMA'S IN ROUND ROCK which is our family's way of saying, "Holy Crap...this house is a pig sty and company is on the way!" That particular saying started when we lived in Austin, TX and my parents were driving down from IN to spend a week with us. I don't know how you clean house but it seems as if I can't really really clean without making a much bigger mess first. I had planned to tackle the refrigerator and mop the kitchen floor that morning and pronounce the kitchen DONE but once I got started it was a clear case of "we need to burn this room off and build a new one or Buford bring me the bleach". The kids were working on their rooms which translates to throwing junk in the closet and shoving clean clothes in the hamper because that is easier than putting them away...DUH! So I put on my big girl panties, stopped whining and started on the kitchen. The curtains were in the washer, the silverware drawer was clean and straight and don't even try to tell me you don't get those little crusty, crumby, boogery things in your silverware drawer because I know better. The refrigerator was next on the list but first I completely emptied every cabinet with the idea that I would have no choice but to wash the cabinets and reorganize. What the hey...the parental units were not arriving for at least another 24 hrs and I had all the time in the world. It was right about then our phone rang. Eddie answered and I heard her say, "Grandma you are almost here...just turn right when you get to Round Rock." And that my friends is how our families saying of GRANDMA'S IN ROUND ROCK so get up off your butt and start cleaning something, anything NOW phrase was born and continues to this day.

4 comments:

Eddie Carter said...

I don't think I have ever seen 5 people move faster in my life - an that includes the too male figures in the household!

Anonymous said...

Very funny! Reminds me of a story I heard of some little girls who called their grandpa Hidaddy-because thats what their Mom always said to him Hi Daddy.

I think I'll try yelling Grandma's in Round Rock next time I'm cleaning just to see what reaction I get.

Jan said...

Tipper..If my kids are around they will grab a can of Pledge, a bottle of Windex and a big roll of paper towel!

Anonymous said...

That's good. I need to make some before and after pictures right now and start cleaning like "Grandma's in Round Rock".
Good story, Jan.