Thursday, September 11, 2008

Fine Cusine

I was looking through old cookbooks the other day and laughed when I came across a recipe I made ONE time about 30 years ago. All you moms know how hard it is to come up with a dish that pleases everyone and I was sure I had a winner. My entire family likes German potato salad and what kid doesn’t like hot dogs. After following the directions for the German potato salad I put it in a round baking dish, split the hot dogs lengthwise and stood them up around the outside edge of the bowl and put the dish in the oven to brown the hot dogs. It was supposed to look like a standing rib roast and it sorta did in an Oscar Mayer kinda way. SO…..I made a salad, hot bread, a nice dessert and called everyone to the table for dinner. There were the five of us staring at this “faux standing rib roast” in the middle of the table with all those hot dogs standing at attention and after a few minutes I turned to Dave and said, “WHAT….you don’t like German potato salad and hot dogs?!?” His response was, “No, I like hot dogs and German potato salad. I was just trying to remember the last time I was served a main course that looked like it needed to be circumcised.” I miss Dave.

12 comments:

TennZen said...

Oh my LAWD, I nearly fell in the floor when I read this one!

Reminds me of the Twinkie wedding cake I saw once.

Thank you for the laugh today!

Grammysammy said...

My kids said they remember I can do wonders with hot dogs;;

Baked beans and HOT DOGS
Fried Saurkraut and hot dogs
Kraft macaroni and cheese &Hot dogs
Hot dogs cut up in Chili
Tomato soup and Hot dogs

Susie said...

Hi there! Haven't been on line for awhile...was worried about you and the storm. So glad to see a post from yesterday! Sounds like you were protected! Praise God! Also, I love all your new posts and the new look for your blog! It's wonderful! You are so funny, I think you could quit your day job and be a comedian or writer! Great job,and sooo glad you are all right:)

Anonymous said...

He must have had a wonderful sense of humor-like you-I can see why you miss him!


I keep forgetting to tell you-I love the new layout!

mtbyrd said...

Not the german potatoe salad and hot dogs!! I believe we had a cereal night?? :)

Anonymous said...

That is so funny! Dave sounds like he had a great sense of humor.
I know what it is like trying out new recipes on folks. Sometimes they just don't get it.lol...
I know you do miss Dave.

Have a good weekend, Jan.
pam

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh. No wonder you married that man...

I was just thinking of our own most famous hotdog dinner disaster. We were newly-married, my husband still in grad school, trying to live on nothing at all. So I made spaghetti with very cheap, chicken hotdogs cut up in the sauce. And it was *SOO* bad...

Unknown said...

I adore the name of your blog!!!

Latane Barton said...

Oh, my gosh. I needed a laugh so badly. And, your recipe did it.

Susie said...

Hi Jan! Haven't seen a post from you in awhile. Hope you are doing fine!

A Colorful World said...

This was VERY funny!

Anonymous said...

That is hilarious. I know why you never made that dish again.